Emergency foster programs are helping organizations across the country continue to save lives during population spikes, natural disasters, outbreaks of contagious illness, hoarding situations, building renovations, and more. You might call emergency foster programs the "backup plan" for situations that put animal welfare organizations in crisis, including simply running out of space. After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the power of an emergency foster initiative to build your supporter base
- Identify and tailor your initiative to a range of shelter emergencies
- Recruit emergency foster caregivers using a variety of strategies
- Successfully message your community about your foster initiative
- Know where to find support
This course is authored by Kelly Duer, Senior Community Solutions Specialist for Maddie’s Fund®. This course is pre-approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit from the Association for Animal Welfare Advancement (AAWA) and the National Animal Care & Control Association (NACA).